Ages 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 yrs.
Ballet / Tap
This 30 minute class is for the little dancer that is ready to follow along in a group, without mommy in class! It’s fun for them to learn, and even more fun for you to watch as these little ones! This is a great way to let your child explore their creative side. These are Ballet based classes that end with fun tap steps. The teacher guides the student to learn in a way that makes discovering, balance and listening skills easy and fun. Limited to 7 students.
Why is dance important?
First and foremost, dance is important because it’s fun! Our teachers are dancers themselves and share their passion with their students. Additionally, the National Dance Education Organization says that dance trains a better combination of flexibility, strength, endurance, and coordination than most other physical pursuits. But beyond that, educators are increasingly recognizing the importance of the arts on cognitive development. Creative and aesthetic pursuits like dance have been repeatedly linked to improved physical, mental, and social well being, as well as academic achievement. More than ever, dance and the arts are being recognized as essential pieces of a complete education by leading teachers, administrators, and educational philosophers.
Why start so young?
For you, it may seem a little quick for your child to be starting dance lessons. After all, it wasn’t so long ago he or she was just learning to walk. Maybe, but we’ll bet they haven’t stopped moving since! For your child, dance lessons are a way to have fun while learning to move in exciting new ways. And according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, toddler dance classes are a great way to develop strong, flexible, healthy muscles, not to mention complex motor skills and essential social competencies like listening, cooperation with others, and increased self-confidence. We don’t expect young kids to be able to perform a perfect pirouette (although they can learn what “pirouette” and other French terms mean). Our teachers are there to create a fun and safe atmosphere for your child to learn and grow.
Ok, but why the focus on Ballet?
While there are many different styles of dance, Ballet teaches the strength, balance, flexibility, coordination, and movement basics which are the foundation of everything from Hip Hop to Salsa. The Child Development Institute is among those who expound on the benefits of Ballet training both as a tool for childhood development and a foundation for later dance training. Plus, it makes it easy for kids to measure their progress which gives them a great feeling of accomplishment with each new skill that’s learned.
The National Dance Education Organization lists the following as reasons to learn standardized dance forms:
- Provide a scaffold outlining the breadth and scope of learning and teaching dance as an art upon which to design curricula and course syllabi. Standards are a guide, not a directive nor a curriculum. They offer constructive support, suggesting areas of curriculum but not defining it. Standards allow each district or school to develop an approach most suited to local or individual values.
- Serve as a springboard for creativity for the learning and teaching of dance making: improvisation, choreography, and composition. Standards suggest avenues of creative exploration in the arts-making processes of Performing, Creating, Responding to, and interconnecting dance learning to knowledge of other disciplines and life skills.
- Define age-appropriate expectations and levels of achievement in the art of dance. Standards inform individual schools of dance and school districts what students should know and be able to do in the art of dance at certain benchmark levels when taught by a highly qualified dance teacher in a graduated curriculum.
Why Choose Us?
- Professional 'Floating Marley Dance Floors' reduce fatigue and prevent injury
- Small class sizes
- Customer service - desk staff available during class times for assistance
- Wide selection of class times to fit your busy schedule
- University trained teachers
- Instructions in rock, classical, pop, jazz and more
- Optional, low pressure recitals
"It has been amazing to see my son tranformed through his discovery of the violin. Since starting at the School of Dance & Music, he has gained a deep sense of accomplishment and confidence."
"My 7-year-old son LIVES for his weekly electric guitar lesson! We have to ask him to stop practicing!"
"I love the School of Dance and Music! I have danced there for years and I always love my teachers. They are always willing to listen and are open to what the students have to say. I like that all the teachers are friends and are nice. The teachers and students works well together (we are a team) and when I am there I feel at home."
"My daughter has met lots of friends at the school and has a great time coming here. She loves the teachers and staff and looks forward to the fabulous dance & music recitals they put on every year. The school is very well run and very accommodating to stressed out parents with ever changing schedules."
"What wonderful life long lessons my kids are learning at the School of Dance & Music! The teachers are positive and motivating and they each bring their own originality every week. The staff is kind and professional. Our family looks forward to a long relationship with the school."